Much like my reticence to joining Facebook, I have been putting off posting a blog for months. I plan on posting my thoughts about what's happening here in Washington, DC. I suppose it wouldn't be out of character for me to talk a little golf as well.
ROMULUS STIMULUS:
By now, everyone knows Congress has been working on a so-called stimulus package to jump start the economy. What concerns me is the propensity for these mammoth pieces of legislation to take on a life of their own and do damage to the very things meant to be addressed.
I served in House Leadership for four years and have been an eyewitness to Members of Congress dealing with the issues of the day - large and small. One of the most striking observations I made during that time is the level to which the large issues become an obsession with little to no thought given to the consequences, intended or not, of the legislation passed. The legislation becomes all-consuming. The emphasis and energy shifts to get it done, whether it makes sense or not. Indeed, many times the solution being pursued has little to no impact on the problem they're trying to solve. It brings to mind the story of Romulus.
According to Roman mythology, Romulus and his twin brother Remus, were abandoned by their parents Mars and Rhea Silvia. The twins were reared by a wolf. During an argument over how to build Rome, Romulus killed his twin brother Remus.
The reason I thought of Romulus is I find it appropriate to describe our current situation with the stimulus package. Our parents have abandoned us. Romulus (government) is trying to solve a problem in building Rome (the economy). His brother, Remus (business), sees things a different way so Romulus kills his brother to solve the problem.
My hope is that Roman mythology can be rewritten so Romulus doesn't kill Remus this time.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment