Upon President Obama's election, America was promised he would usher in an era of post-partisanship. It shouldn't be a surprise that this was about as realistic as a world in which unicorns, flying monkeys and dragons live in peace and harmony.
I am not necessarily shocked or disappointed, but I think maybe I wanted to be. Even the most cynical of us have those fleeting moments when we get stuck in that moment and believe, however briefly - 'it is going to be different this time.' I had that feeling when I heard Obama speak on election night and from time-to-time as he went about the business of his transition - until he chose Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff. At that point, there wasn't any doubt in my mind it wouldn't be any different than it has been in the past.
It couldn't be, it's not and I'm not sure I ever want it to be if what the American people get out of it is $1.2 trillion legislation that appears to do more for mice than man.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment